The most noticeable changes will be converting Prospect Street and Webster Ave from one-way streets to two-ways between Somerville Avenue and the intersection of Prospect and Webster south of the train tracks. This will have the effect of routing much of the traffic that currently flows through the heart of Union Square (by the plaza) directly to points north and south without having to go through the Square.
Other changes include:
- Parking on Webster Ave will be located on the side of the street in front of the Prospect Hill Charter School. (Part of the area will be used for school drop-off and parking during the rest of the day.)
- On-street parking will be added to Prospect Street
- A raised crosswalk will be added to where Newton Street intersects with Prospect Street.
- Two new crosswalks will be added to Washington Street near Rossmore and Merriam Streets (the existing crosswalk will be removed)
- A mid-block crosswalk will be added on Somerville Ave, which will connect the Union Square Plaza to the south side of the street near Mikes Auto