Luisa Oliveria, Senior Planner
City of Somerville
93 Highland Ave
Somerville MA, 02143
We wanted to drop a quick note to say how pleased we are with the plans for Nunziato Park; it looks terrific. Thank you for your hard work on this.
The things we are really pleased with are the connection to the Growing Center, the attractive, green structure covering the port-a-potties, the rain gardens and bioswales, the fact that current trees will remain and be added to, and, last but certainly not least, the high-quality grass!
We have a few questions and suggestions:
- Is the dog park surface permeable? If so, does it get filtered before going into the water catchment tanks? If not, what happens to the run-off from the dog park?
- Will the new trees and the rain garden plants be natives?
- Will the water from the tanks be able to be used for irrigation or is it just a slow-release to the sewer system? We hope the former.
- Instead of port-a-potties, can we install composting toilets? They are much more environmentally-friendly. Here is a link to a local company that makes a trailhead series: http://www.clivusmultrum.com/products-services.php
- Could there be some benches along the walking path?
- Can there be plentiful recycling containers to encourage people using the field to not leave bottles lying around?
Renée Scott on behalf of Green & Open Somerville
Rob Buchanan on behalf of Union Square Neighbors
Maureen Barillaro on behalf of Somerville Climate Action